Monday 5 July 2010

Up early to start the second week of the detox / rehab . This week it is in Brighton and within walking distance of my flat , The building is called Vantage Point and was previously used as a library . Ive been here before on many occasions and am relaxed with the setup . The entrance is always buzzing with people waiting for their methadone scripts , it can be quite intimidating when you first visit , I only ever saw one fight , a guy blew a positive for alcohol and they had to ring his probation officer so he flipped , most addicts are peaceful and value the service they receive , give them their sweeties and every one's happy .
The morning starts at 10am and things are fairly relaxed , breathe test , coffee , chat amongst ourselves then our guide Dave starts with a round up of what we've been up to at the weekend , every ones been sober which is great , Ricky has had an awful weekend , kicked down the stairs twice and smashed over the head with something hard enough to make his head bleed , all this inflicted by his future wife who was pissed or as Ricky says "wankered" , she rings the police and he is arrested and spends 18 hours in the cells , sound fucking familiar , he has a seizure whilst in custody . Jay admits to having a swig of lager and we have to vote as to whether he can stay in the group , we all agree at once that he can , he needs to stay in the gang so he can see the homeless guy later in the week and get a roof over his head , I could not stay sober in his shoes , NO FUCKING WAY ! , he hasn't eaten for 3 or 4 days and has to ask someone for 10p so he can put the 90p he has to get a burger for supper , how does he remain so jolly ? Frankie is quiet today but made it through a friends wedding and didn't touch a drop the whole weekend . Tim went to the pub and drank a couple of pints of diet coke . It feels like I've known these people half my life and will get some phone numbers on Friday .
Home time is 2.30pm , Frankie and Jay wish me good luck for my court case tomorrow ,so I head to the pool wanting to pay my monthly subs , and have a shower as the boiler is still broken and the water is so cold in my flat , shaving in cold water is really shit . At the reception I ask the manageress why there was trouble over my subs yesterday and she starts typing away at the computer and tells me that I have already paid this months fees , was I so fucking pissed over the last month that I'd already paid and didn't remember , no idea . The weathers been hot today and what bliss to jump into that pool and immerse myself in cool cool water , wickedly refreshing , perfect .
Today I have felt peace of mind and thank everyone who has helped me this far . A quick prayer to the masters of the universe to look over all the addicts fighting this terrible disease .

No comments:

Post a Comment